Joseph A. Devall
Joey Devall is a member of the firm who provides transactional and litigation services to a variety of clients in the maritime, energy, and insurance sectors. His transactional practice includes drafting, reviewing, and negotiation contracts, including master service agreements, vessel charter parties, towing contracts, vessel construction agreements, construction contracts, sub-contracts, purchase and sale agreements, leases, asset purchase agreements, teaming agreements, and joint venture agreements. He also advises clients in regulatory compliance issues, vessel documentation, the U.S. Antiboycott laws, and related matters. Joey's transactional experience includes representing clients doing international business in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and South America. He approaches each transaction as a unique situation, taking the time to understand the client's business goals in an effort to best protect their interests.
Joey's litigation and arbitration experience includes commercial and contract disputes; personal injuries, both maritime and non-maritime; LHWCA; vessel disputes; insurance coverage disputes; construction disputes involving design errors, delay claims, change orders, and payment disputes; the Miller Act; and related matters.
- Validity and Enforceability of Seaman's Release
- Don't You Forget About Me . . . Include Insurers in List of Indemnified Groups
- The Definition of "Rest" and Towing Vessel Work-Hour Limitations
- Legal Definition of a Vessel: That Certain Unnamed Gray, Two-Story Vessel Before S.C.O.T.U.S. – Part 2
- Legal Definition of a Vessel: That Certain Unnamed Gray, Two-Story Vessel Before S.C.O.T.U.S. – Part 1
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Comment: Whether Federal Rule of Evidence 803(3) Should Be Amended to Exclude Statements Offered to Prove the Subsequent Conduct of a Nondeclarant: Guidance from Louisiana, 78 Tulane Law Review 911, 2004.
- Tulane Law Review, Associate Editor, 2002-2004
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States