Joanne Mantis is an admiralty and maritime attorney focused on maritime business disputes and financial transactions. Her experience includes charter party disputes, cargo claims, vessel finance and documentation, collisions, marine casualties, and explosions.
Joanne represents a variety of clients within the marine industry: vessel owners, operators, managers, brokers, and charterers; logistics providers and offshore companies; terminal facilities, port authorities, and offshore oil and gas interests.
She advises clients concerning special laws and regulations that affect maritime business and financial transactions, and provides legal counsel in
- negotiating, structuring, and documenting maritime financial and business transactions,
- addressing related tax, regulatory and insurance issues, and
- restructurings and workouts involving marine assets.
She works both domestically and internationally for clients, and has been involved with matters in both state and federal courts, as well as in Greek courts. She currently serves as City Magistrate for the city of Harahan, Louisiana.
Joanne also represents municipal and government entities in contracts and claims, is admitted to practice law in Greece, and has been involved with mediation in London, Greece, and the U.S. A multilingual attorney, in addition to English, Joanne speaks, reads, and writes Greek and is fluent in French. She returned to the firm’s New Orleans office in October of 2011 after working in Athens, Greece, in an affiliate office of King, Krebs & Jurgens.
Joanne was admitted to the Louisiana Bar in 1995 and the Greek Bar in 1999. She graduated from Tulane University Law School in 1994 where she received a certificate in admiralty law. While in law school, she was a member of the Maritime Law Society, and she served as vice president of her senior class. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts from Tulane University in 1991.
OFFSHORE WINDS MARINE & ENERGY BLOG POSTS
- Greek Shipowners Consider Exodus as Crisis Leads to Proposed Higher Taxes
- Greece Initiates Offshore Oil and Gas Tender Process
- Greek Tonnage Tax Imposed on Foreign-Flagged Vessels
Honors & Recognition
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Athens Bar Association, Greece
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Propeller Club of New Orleans
- New Orleans Bar Association